12-27-09
Rose left with a "parting shot", as Kim, Clarion, and Diane put it.
I consider it a goldmine of information.
Diane didn't help around the house enough, didn't keep the
bathroom clean, and the pictures on the piano were of just
their family, and not anyone else - Diane didn't love Rose.
When Rose also mentioned something from the long-ago
past, about Diane saying she "didn't want any relatives
over," Kim and Diane both said that they didn't remember
it and that they "didn't have the context".
I was studying the comics when all the "parting shot"
of 10 minutes occurred. Kim, Diane and Clarion talked
about how it just Had? to happen? Clarion said that they
shouldn't have stayed the extra day.
Rose's parting shot reminded me of my parting shots -
one time at karate when I didn't want to do something
but didn't want to confront Diane. So I just said "No"
and left to the car.
Kim talked about how much Diane worked to Rose,
and that she was the hardest-working member of
the family.
Later, when Diane and Kim (I tagged along) were folding the draperies
for the room Rose and Clarion had been sleeping in,
Diane said (mostly sarcastically) "Sorry that you
have such a lazy wife."
So, I now think I know what much of the Victorian
prissiness around the "work ethic" is about.
Rose and her experience in the Vietnam (was it
Vietnam?) conflict, whereby she reacted into bigotry.
The bigotry being a concept of how family should work.
No comments:
Post a Comment