I have just watched The Matrix.
"Like his teacher Plato, Aristotle's philosophy aims at the universal. Aristotle, however, found the universal inparticular things, which he called the essence of things, while Plato finds that the universal exists apart from particular things"
Universals may exist. However, there is a tendency
for error when extrapolating. This tendency appears
to arise from gaps, such as God or State. Attached to
this equation is Projection, exemplified by Jane Austin's
Pride and Prejudice:
"IT IS a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in pos-
session of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."
Whether or not it actually is the case that this is projection,
I will continue on the assumption that it is.
A truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession
of a good fortune must be in want of a wife is a very convenient
truth. It means financial security. Additionally, and attached to it,
comes the excuse and expression Well why wouldn't he? After all,
blah 1, blah 2, and blah 3.
Why this financial insecurity has come about is what I would like
to explore. Whether the onus of responsibility is accepted by the
man is not what I'm going to explore yet. Probably, the answer to
one side will answer the other. This same parallel is also what I
want to explore, since life seems to follow it in a manner that
I liken to a movie called K-PAX.
I know, firstly, that there is something to do with either authority,
or religion. Exactly which, and how the equation goes about
spreading its wings, is what I'm yet to understand.
It is this thing, which is my nose and right in front of it,
that will set me free.
Continuing on to the next sentence of the book:
"However little known the feelings or views of such a man may
be on his first entering a neighbourhood, this truth is so well
fixed in the minds of the surrounding families, that he is con-
sidered as the rightful property of someone or other of their
daughters."
Property! Here ringeth that word in its ugly glory!
Property, in the manner and use as is here, implies a use,
a manner of trapping, such a man and his fortune.
It also implies insecurity: What if someone else gets him?
In this climate of need, authority does its deed.
Why, then, continue on with the book? Why have 500+
pages worth of material? That this book is popular, tells
of conflict. And the first two sentences gives all that is
needed to know the likely projectory. A tug of war ensues,
and it ends with a revision of mindset. Shall I try to predict
the last sentence? I cannot yet, as I do not have enough
information. Yet, I'm curious; therefore, I will look.
I will make a few guesses, however:
1. Cliffhanger that leaves rest to imagination and lets mind fill the gap.
2. Something insignificant to end with.
3. Something intoning to the premises, but with a twist; perhaps
a sort of "poison" is added.
4. Something I haven't guessed."Between Barton and Delaford, there was that constant com-
munication which strong family affection would naturally dic-
tate; and among the merits and the happiness of Elinor and
Marianne, let it not be ranked as the least considerable, they
could live without disagreement between themselves, or produc-
ing coolness between their husbands."
It was #1, and basically as I predicted. The trajectory ended
with a relaxation of the tenses, perhaps leaving a gap still
in the mind of the reader, as per that many get comfort out
of the book. Hence, the marriage stuff will be enforced, since
this book is "family-oriented".
It was also #2 - insignificant and pleasant to the mind.
How is the book separated? .... oh dear. wrong ending.
"Darcy, as well as Elizabeth, really loved them; and they
were both ever sensible of the warmest gratitude towards the
persons who, by bringing her into Derbyshire, had been the
means of uniting them."
#1, with a more conclusion-esque appeal to it. But, was it
not a man who entered town, and not women?
How is it separated?
61 Chapters, unmarked.
I will now proceed with 60 sentences.
2.
"Mr. Bennet was among the earliest of those who waited on
Mr. Bingley."
3.
"Not all that Mrs. Bennet, however, with the assistance of her
five daughters, could ask on the subject, was sufficient to draw
from her husband any satisfactory description of Mr. Bingley."
4.
"When Jane and Elizabeth were alone, the former, who had
been cautious in her praise of Mr. Bingley before, expressed to
her sister how very much she admired him."
5.
"Within a short walk of Longbourn lived a family with
whom the Bennets were particularly intimate."
6.
"The ladies of Longborn soon waited on those of Nether-
field."
7.
"Mr. Bennet's property consisted almost entirely in an estate
of two thousand a year, which, unfortunately for his daughters,
was entailed, in default of heirs male, on a distant relation; and
their mother's fortune, though ample for her situation in life,
could but ill supply the deficiency of his."
8.
"At five O'clock the two ladies retired to dress, and at half-
past six Elizabeth was summoned to dinner."
I suspected that I would run out of time, and I have.
This data, however, should give, at the least, a gleaming.
The sentences will be reproduced, this time with commentary.
2.
"Mr. Bennet was among the earliest of those who waited on
Mr. Bingley."
Many are to wait on Mr. Bingley, for he is the man with
great fortune. How did he amass this fortune, however?
Why is Mr. Bennet waiting on Mr. Bingley?
3.
"Not all that Mrs. Bennet, however, with the assistance of her
five daughters, could ask on the subject, was sufficient to draw
from her husband any satisfactory description of Mr. Bingley."
Did her husband meet up with Mr. Bingley? This implies so;
thus, why was she not able to? Was he unable, or unwilling,
or perhaps a combination of both? Why would be be unwilling?
Why would he be unable? Why are they looking for a description
of Mr. Bingley? To prepare. Prepare for what? Make him their
property to ensure fortune and security. What does Bingley
get out of it? Sex? Love? What does Mr. Bingley want?
If Mr. Bingley just wanted sex, why all the preparation?
4.
"When Jane and Elizabeth were alone, the former, who had
been cautious in her praise of Mr. Bingley before, expressed to
her sister how very much she admired him."
Why? Why was she cautious in her praise? Was it because they
were alone? Why express it in the presence of Elizabeth?
Why does Elizabeth not express? Were they not supposed to
show it?
5.
"Within a short walk of Longbourn lived a family with
whom the Bennets were particularly intimate."
Did they go there? Why?
6.
"The ladies of Longborn soon waited on those of Nether-
field."
Not enough data.
7.
"Mr. Bennet's property consisted almost entirely in an estate
of two thousand a year, which, unfortunately for his daughters,
was entailed, in default of heirs male, on a distant relation; and
their mother's fortune, though ample for her situation in life,
could but ill supply the deficiency of his."
They were fucked and in need of money.
8.
"At five O'clock the two ladies retired to dress, and at half-
past six Elizabeth was summoned to dinner."
Ah, human relations. I study it.
Tomorrow is toastmasters in the morning,
and I am going there that I might, as it were,
be out of the house more and interact.
It is imperative that I not freeze.
Therefore, I need direction... or something like that.
In a world controlled and suffocated by regulations
and delusions, it's who you know, not what you know.
And we're slowly going into the hole because of it,
aren't we?
No comments:
Post a Comment