Wednesday, May 12, 2010

FacePalm Fun on FaceBook, part 5

Beating a dead horse?

1.
2 hours ago
Jeff Metz
Jeff Metz 
@Sean: So what is it that you might believe? Is it simpy that Christianity is no way a possible truth or is there a religion or some other sort of belief in yourself and family that you hold to?

Based on your youtube sources (which I hope you don't get all your information from) they pose interesting arguments, but neither of them (richard dawkins...See More
about an hour ago
Sean Windingland
Sean Windingland 
"And I agree about it being rather stupid to be talking at such a length on a status message, especially yours."

If you would like, we could continue the discussion here:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=699930363&v=wall&story_fbid=123092494384317&ref=mf

2.

Sean Windingland For continuation of the singer who came out as a lesbian discussion:

34 minutes ago  ·  · 
Chad Wilson
Chad Wilson 
Wow you have changed very much my friend. I was looking at some of your youtube posting and found you are now a strong atheist. As kids I knew you as the kid that loved church. It is just funny how different things are so many years later. lol
16 minutes ago · 
Sean Windingland
Sean Windingland 
Sure, I'm up for a discussion. Although, I find the start of it to be rather biased:

"So what is it that you might believe?"
From my standpoint of the context you mean, something that one "believes" is something that one both cannot explain and wants, urgently, to explain to others. From this, such things as "You believe in gravity" stand as ridiculous extrapolations, amounting to self-satire.

There is a huge difference between saying that you're exploring a subject and you've found a point at which you no longer understand what's going on, and plan to explore it further,
as opposed to saying you're exploring a subject and seeing how it relates to God, an abstraction that has always been in high contention, and saying that if the evidence seems to not fit with "there is a God" theory, that the evidence is wrong, or that there will be evidence later to disprove the other evidence.
Which approach sounds more biased?

"Based on your youtube sources (which I hope you don't get all your information from)"
Of course I don't "get all [my] information" from those YouTube videos that I listed. There are hundreds more that I could post as examples of the ridiculousness of religion (yes, I do have a bias against religion, and we could talk about that if you would like to). Since this was on a status message, I cherry-picked the best ones that I thought best-demonstrated the fallacies.
If you are questioning my scope and breadth of books and sources, then I hope you have read more books than just the Bible, more books than just the pro-Christian ones, and watched videos that weren't always saying Hallelujah about Jesus.

"merely blow off everything and are just as bigoted towards Christianity"
Well, I would be curious to know how you thought of it as that, since I thought that were some of the better arguments against Christinaity.
Additionally, atheists are the least trusted minority in America, have been characterized as being devil-worshipping, thieving, sinning, whoring, blasphemous heathen fools. Because Christianity is so much better, what with a God that approves of slavery and genocide.

Perhaps you could refer to the videos that you thought were dismissive, and we could discuss them. BTW, what were you talking about with the "Ginger" stuff?

"I personally would love it if you sent me a message where WE can BOTH do our best to set down the biases that we have towards each others "beliefs" and hash out some of these rather difficult questions (e.g. the presence of evil in light of an all loving God)"
And why must I have beliefs? Why is belief the default? Why do you presume that I have beliefs?

Before we address such difficult questions as, "the presence of evil in light of an all-loving God", could you first establish this God as having an existence?

"Is it simpy that Christianity is no way a possible truth or is there a religion or some other sort of belief in yourself and family that you hold to?"
Christianity is one of many attempts at truth. The man that is called The Christ may have been one of the better versions of some truths, though most of the people that followed him weren't. Along with that, his dad (which was also him) wasn't that great of a guy, as I have mentioned before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cWudROypp8

It is understandable if this does not seem like too promising of a start for a discussion. I have not debated Christians for a while now, and I'm going to need to relearn some of the patience I had when this was still new to me and I hadn't moved on to things like anti-statism.
5 minutes ago · 
Sean Windingland
Sean Windingland 
@Chad lol No kidding!
4 minutes ago · 

No comments:

Post a Comment