http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB6evyLNa08
The reaction to the thought of determinism is what leads most
to either reject it or feel uncomfortable with it. Imagine that all
of your actions were determined beforehand and you had
absolutely no control over what you would choose.
This is what is commonly thought regarding determinism.
In encountering this opinion of determinism, I had to clarify
what I myself meant regarding it. I don't have a problem,
myself, with the implications of Common Determinism.
However, this is irrelevant and only means that I had
to explain further what I consider determinism to be.
Imagine a tree of possible actions. This is an experiment
that is on pause. Put the experiment into "play", and the
selection branches out accordingly, depending on what
the limitations and motivating factors were. If you knew
what the limitations and motivating factors were ahead
of time, you could predict with 100% certainty what
would occur.
Let's take an extremely simply example, just to give
the gist of how this could look. Tic-tac-toe. If there are
two people who see a tic-tac-toe game (and have
played it before), how likely is it that they will play it?
Or is it more likely that it will be ignored, since it will
inevitably end in a "cat's game"?
Most people's response to being told that their
actions can be predicted, often take the route
of trying to be more unpredictable, predictably.
This rebellion reaction makes me think there is
an oversensitivity regarding control, else the
semantic difference between overall result
and humanistic controlling influence would be
more readily seen.
It is, I think, the same confusion that relates to Darwinism.
"Survival of the fittest" seems "bruttish, cold, and unkind."
Dawkins himself agreed, in an interview, saying that it would
be better to work with reality and try and make things better,
than to deny it.
And really, asking the government to do things for you,
or trying to use the Bible as the means of a moral compass,
is a tad lazy; and so, evolutionarily inevitable.
Thursday, September 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment