Along with that, my frequent changes in position, such that even those who might know me rather well, might be baffled by the position that I take next week, despite having known me well for 5 years or more. That might include, maybe, 3 people in total, if that. I do a retake of my own journal every now and then, so why not one combined with the story of today?
Previously on Yu-Gi-Oh... nah, I just thought it seemed funny that it sounded like I was going to do that. Being bored has interesting affects on your mind. Kim has been doing/trying to do some business, first with computer stuff, and now with energy savings. This last week I helped him with an excel sheet of some data that he was looking at for a company. The irony was is that it looked extremely "work-oriented" in the sense that it looked like stuff that should look really boring. But I was fascinated by it. He asked me to keep a record of how long it took me (and here I was thinking kind of in the job sense, "what, so you can keep a payroll?"), to "see if it was worth it". And I agreed. I looked online for a few minutes to find a sort of stopwatch so I wouldn't be forgetful of how long I was taking on the excel sheet, but I couldn't find an app for it. Eventually I was like, "Y'know, this ain't worth the trouble" and jotted down the start time on the notebook.
It was an enjoyable hour of learning about something by putting data in about it. That's what I didn't like about Kim's presentation of it - "it's going to be tedious, I know, but..." Really, now, it all depends on one's approach. Although, that Kim was giving it to me to do, instead of doing it himself, indicated the very thing that he was passing on to me -- "it's hard work" (it was also that I haven't been contributing to the family, so...). We don't pass games onto other people, for heaven's sake -- we play them! Imagine if you had a girlfriend (for the guys; for the girls, just reverse it) and gave her to another guy - "Hey, could you do her for me? I know it's a lot of work, but I'd really appreciate it."
All that and, I was bored? I was, and that's part of why I was so eager to do the "work". "One man's trash is another man's treasure" comes to mind, along with "Buy low, sell high". And it's this concept of, as it were, "Applied Genius" that I want to work with and look at. I start with two primary assumptions:
1. We're all geniuses (at the least, potential ones).
2. Perception is king.
I did another excel thing for Kim this morning, and after that, at around 3pm, Kim brought me for an interview at Subway, after which we went for a lighting business opp at Arby's. The excel was about gas - therms - and they are spending a ton of money on gas. I was intimidated about doing the interview, so Kim found me in bed, 'resting',
"Have a cup of coffee? Want to be perky for the interview" and I was sort of subdued as we went to Subway,
"You alright? You're not smiling..."
The interview went well. Lois told me about... a lot of stuff. The schedule goes from Wed to Tue instead of Mon to Sun, which she said took her aback herself, but she got used to it, although she still had to call some people to remind them that it was their day, though "ultimately that's your responsibility to do." The cameras there were to ensure that everyone was performing, and also as back cover for if a customer was unsatisfied. I thought that was slightly ironic, because I had thought the cameras were there to make sure the customers didn't steal anything (the paranoia in me and whatnot).
She asked how many hours it was that I wanted, saying that she couldn't give me that many, it being a sort of down-season right now. And oh, it's so much better in this location than it was over where DQ is/was; it was a prime spot for being robbed, 8PM, next to the highway. Now that we're over here, 6 years, it hasn't happened, but I still tell staff to close down right, for in case. Do you want a lot of hours, 'cause I can't really offer you 30+ hour right no- (No; whatever works out for you, really. No point in me being here if it isn't helping the store out, y'know) Ok good, yeah.
At one point she mentioned that I'd need to bring a driver's license, and birth certificate or social security card. That was disheartening. Well, I guess I'll put the driver license back into my wallet again... It would be better than being bored and in depression. And I think it goes along with the application part.
After the interview Kim was wondering whether or not to go to Arby's; "It doesn't sound very promising..." We went anyway. Andy wasn't there, but a staff member was,
"Well, we all run the shop."
"Good answer!" :P Kim, kim, kim...
We went about inspecting the lights, and there was some momentary confusion about 12's and 8's, since 12's were no longer being made, and that might have been why Andy was interested in a lighting project. After we'd looked at all of them, Kim said that it looked more promising than before, "this looks like a decent project."
With all this in my head when we got home, how I'd just gone "backstage" to Arby's because of a lighting project, which was held together firstly by Kim's charisma, and secondly by the application part where he actually delivers, too, I was thinking about application as related to perception, and the difference between the Victorian work-ethic and the lazy-boy perception-esque thinking that seemed to coincide with it (I'm speaking generationally, such as myself and my mom, with me being the unpractical one). I saw a business card that was turned upside down (she's been using business cards like sticky-notes for where you don't need the stick), telling Yuri to do the dishes at 6PM. I, thinking partly of Lois' "doing the work even when others may be slacking", partly of boredom, and partly of simply enjoying doing it, put the dishes away.
I was also wanting to talk about this stuff - application. But here's the problem that I've now more often been running into: I want to say it to the camera, but not around anyone. And I think this is likewise related to application. Shy and extrovert, along with teaching children and teaching in general, along with things like State and religion, and in this way connected. And I'm going to make some generalities that don't really hold. For shy people, they're ruled by religion and state, or whatever extrapolation thereof that is used as a mechanism for their reaction of shyness. For extroverts, they're the makers of religion and State; the extroverts are the teachers and lawmakers.
I don't think I expressed the general of that very well. *daydreams* And that's part of the problem, too... then I get tired, and it doesn't feel worth explaining. *sigh*
No comments:
Post a Comment